Old 07-09-2003, 04:42 PM

Default wintering link to zones with names

yes. that should work as long as the opening is large enough for you to SEE what is
going on. I would suggest a small pump placed no more than 1 foot down, blowing
water gently at the surface (gotta experiment with cutting the tubing to get this
effect-- the tubing should NOT be at the surface!!).. cause from my own experience,
when electricity goes out, the water freezes in the air pump hoses almost instantly I
had to use a cordless drill and 1.5 inch spade bit to drill a new hole, pull off the
frozen hose, put on new hose and airstone and drop it in. the entire tubing of the
water pump should be below the surface so water will not freeze in it. that way it
will open an air hole if the electricity is off for more than a little while.
any kind of cheap double outlet air pump with big airstones will do it. the air
stones are not dropped very deep, no more than 6 inches.
if the filtration sits in the pond, it is fine, if outside it will lead to over
cooling of the water in the pond and will eventually freeze up. the biobugs are shut
down anyway, I drop my regular pump into a 5 gallon bucket stuffed with that green
mosquito netting to filter and suck up the algae and other detritus keep the water
clear. even tho the pond is 1.5 feet above the ground, there is no ice at all on my
pond in winter. a small greenhouse does help solar gain. Ingrid

"Kodiak" wrote:

Hi Ingrid,
If I cover the pond, say with a sheet of plywood, leave a small opening on
the end,
as long as there's good aeration is that OK?

Assume I'm in zone 4b, that is -20 to -25 minimum average, the pond is
10ftx4ftx4ft or approx. 1200gal.
What kind of aeration is optimal. how many cc's for air pump, and how many
airstones or other
system?

Some people suggest shutting down their water pump/filtration, others say
leave it on
as long as it dosen't freeze or water dosen't get diverted. Which is right?
Many thanks for info...
...Kodiak

wrote in message
It isnt JUST keeping the water liquid and aeration to put in oxygen, and a

hole to
let toxic gases out... it is how long those fish are going to go without

food because
the water is less than 55oF. that is why some way of covering the pond so

it stays
warm later in fall and warms up earlier in spring is important. not to

mention more
energy efficient than running 1500 watt heaters. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.