Old 07-09-2003, 09:23 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Trailing fushia

"Seven" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Seven" wrote in message
it's an Annabel,

Has just started flowering, it's absolutely beautiful.

)

I am not very sure on how to make the cuttings, so any advice would me

much
appreciated.

Cut about 2 to 3 inches long, non-flowering growth.
Trim to a node (just where leaflets join the stem).
Dip in root-forming hormone. (Optional)
Insert in pot containing gel or cutting compost.
Water thoroughly and allow to drain..
Invert a jam jar or suchlike over the cutting to minimise moisture loss

and
to keep the local atmosphere very damp.
Keep it in a greenhouse, in a cold frame or on a window sill
Wait with great patience for four or more weeks.
Inspect carefully for roots appearing.
If so, pot up and keep in light, frost free position through the winter.
Don't plant out till after next year's frost season is over.

Franz

Thanks for that, I am pretty new at the gardening stuff, this is my first
year really, but I am having loads of fun doing it!

By virtue of beginners' luck, you will of course be more successful with
your cuttings this season than you will be for a long time afterwards.

By the way, I forgot to say that you should strip some leaves off the stem
of the cutting, so that you don't get leaves buried in the soil when you
insert the cutting.

Franz