Old 08-09-2003, 06:42 AM
Chris Owens

Default Boston Ivy on a Chain Link Fence?

Jeff wrote:

Will Boston Ivy cling to chain link fence, without any added support?

I live in Chicago, zone 5, and have about a really ugly 40 foot long
chain link fence between me and my neighbors. One, in full sun, is
covered with a clematis.

The other one, uncovered, is in partial shade, the shade is from two
huge mulberry trees.

Is Boston Ivy a good choice to cover this fence? Any other ideas
would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, ivy will cling to the fence. No, this is not a good idea.
Ivy is INVASIVE. Unless you're willing to spend a significant
amount of time every year pulling it out of everything else,
don't plant it. You could always plant a row of bushes in front
of the fence. If space is a serious consideration, you can
esplanier them to the fence, making a barrier that would be less
than a foot wide.

Chris Owens