Old 04-09-2003, 11:22 PM
Jeff

Default Boston Ivy on a Chain Link Fence?

Will Boston Ivy cling to chain link fence, without any added support?

I live in Chicago, zone 5, and have about a really ugly 40 foot long
chain link fence between me and my neighbors. One, in full sun, is
covered with a clematis.

The other one, uncovered, is in partial shade, the shade is from two
huge mulberry trees.

Is Boston Ivy a good choice to cover this fence? Any other ideas
would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-09-2003, 03:03 AM

boston ivy will do well in the shade and will eventually cover the fence.
Engelman Ivy will do a little better job, as it's more vigorous. It's in the
same family, so you'll get similar fall color.

x-- Access to over 800 Gigs/Day - $8.95/Month
x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Old 08-09-2003, 06:42 AM
Chris Owens

Jeff wrote:

Will Boston Ivy cling to chain link fence, without any added support?

I live in Chicago, zone 5, and have about a really ugly 40 foot long
chain link fence between me and my neighbors. One, in full sun, is
covered with a clematis.

The other one, uncovered, is in partial shade, the shade is from two
huge mulberry trees.

Is Boston Ivy a good choice to cover this fence? Any other ideas
would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, ivy will cling to the fence. No, this is not a good idea.
Ivy is INVASIVE. Unless you're willing to spend a significant
amount of time every year pulling it out of everything else,
don't plant it. You could always plant a row of bushes in front
of the fence. If space is a serious consideration, you can
esplanier them to the fence, making a barrier that would be less
than a foot wide.

Chris Owens

[IMG] code is On

chain link fence query RB Lawns 2 27-02-2005 05:27 PM
What should I rotate around tall chain link fence? James Edible Gardening 7 30-06-2004 03:09 PM
Best vines to cover a chain link fence Logic 3:16 Gardening 2 20-05-2003 12:32 PM
Painting Chain Link Fence AuralFeast Gardening 7 06-05-2003 02:20 AM
Hiding a chain link fence in Illinois [email protected] Gardening 5 01-03-2003 06:27 PM