Old 08-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Grandpa

Default Chinese Elm

Frogleg wrote:

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 19:05:15 -0700, "Leslie"
wrote:

"Grandpa" wrote

Any tried and true methods of killing some chinese elms - short of
cutting them down? I'm really tired of their seeds spread all over my
yard and everyone of them growing - grrrrr.....

Even cutting these darn trees down won't kill them. They are truly the most
annoying tree I know of.

Then you haven't experienced the black walnut. These grow from roots
and 'seeds' and maybe from whim. They grow inside the garage (with one
dim window) and inside the greenhouse (all window). The roots extend
*miles*, and they are not the least bit discouraged by being cut to a
1" stub.

Chinese Elm is bad enough. My neighbors have a dozen or so of them
growing along our common fenceline - cinderblock. They were the major
cause of us filling in out 18x36 pool with dirt and making a rose &
flower garden. They ruined the liner, they broke one of the return
lines (under the concrete sidewalk), they cracked the sidewalk in
several places. I dig as many of their seeds out of the ground as
possible before I plant but they still come up, and the roots continue
to grow into new trees. Saturday I was sawing off the return lines
pipes so I could access my winter wood pile and as I dig down to cut off
the PVC there was a 2" root, maybe 50' away from the nearest tree.
Yesterday while I'm at the sports bar watching Seattle trounce New
Orleans, wife says a massive wind came along. Played havoc in much of
the city, and naturally it blew from their house to mine so now I have
millions of these freaking little seeds in my yard - again! Don't even
say owners, rental house - grrrrr.......