Old 08-09-2003, 03:02 AM
Grandpa

Default Chinese Elm

Any tried and true methods of killing some chinese elms - short of
cutting them down? I'm really tired of their seeds spread all over my
yard and everyone of them growing - grrrrr.....

Old 08-09-2003, 03:14 AM
Leslie

"Grandpa" wrote in message
Any tried and true methods of killing some chinese elms - short of
cutting them down? I'm really tired of their seeds spread all over my
yard and everyone of them growing - grrrrr.....

Even cutting these darn trees down won't kill them. They are truly the most
annoying tree I know of. Our neighbor has a huge one in their front yard
which spreads to the whole neighborhood. I just pulled 10 of the little ones
up and cut down two larger ones. I've used roundup on the stump after
cutting them down and that kills them. Right now instead of that though, I'm
trying Stump Out. Seems to be working, but we'll see.

Leslie

Old 08-09-2003, 09:12 AM
J. Lane

I've got the same problem and will definately try your suggestion. Those
damned trees should be banned! Anyone growing one because they like them
should be sued by their neighbours.
--
Jayel

Old 08-09-2003, 12:22 PM
Frogleg

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 19:05:15 -0700, "Leslie"
wrote:

"Grandpa" wrote

Any tried and true methods of killing some chinese elms - short of
cutting them down? I'm really tired of their seeds spread all over my
yard and everyone of them growing - grrrrr.....

Even cutting these darn trees down won't kill them. They are truly the most
annoying tree I know of.

Then you haven't experienced the black walnut. These grow from roots
and 'seeds' and maybe from whim. They grow inside the garage (with one
dim window) and inside the greenhouse (all window). The roots extend
*miles*, and they are not the least bit discouraged by being cut to a
1" stub.
Old 08-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Grandpa

Frogleg wrote:

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 19:05:15 -0700, "Leslie"
wrote:

"Grandpa" wrote

Any tried and true methods of killing some chinese elms - short of
cutting them down? I'm really tired of their seeds spread all over my
yard and everyone of them growing - grrrrr.....

Even cutting these darn trees down won't kill them. They are truly the most
annoying tree I know of.

Then you haven't experienced the black walnut. These grow from roots
and 'seeds' and maybe from whim. They grow inside the garage (with one
dim window) and inside the greenhouse (all window). The roots extend
*miles*, and they are not the least bit discouraged by being cut to a
1" stub.

Chinese Elm is bad enough. My neighbors have a dozen or so of them
growing along our common fenceline - cinderblock. They were the major
cause of us filling in out 18x36 pool with dirt and making a rose &
flower garden. They ruined the liner, they broke one of the return
lines (under the concrete sidewalk), they cracked the sidewalk in
several places. I dig as many of their seeds out of the ground as
possible before I plant but they still come up, and the roots continue
to grow into new trees. Saturday I was sawing off the return lines
pipes so I could access my winter wood pile and as I dig down to cut off
the PVC there was a 2" root, maybe 50' away from the nearest tree.
Yesterday while I'm at the sports bar watching Seattle trounce New
Orleans, wife says a massive wind came along. Played havoc in much of
the city, and naturally it blew from their house to mine so now I have
millions of these freaking little seeds in my yard - again! Don't even
say owners, rental house - grrrrr.......

Old 08-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Grandpa

Already tried Fert-i-lome Brush & Stump Killer, highly recommended by
the local nursery, and not cheap either. Didn't phase them, in fact I
think they thrived on it. Mind you I drilled 3/4" holes at a 30º
downward angle to the pith and filled the hole with this stuff, several
times. Also sprayed the tree limbs. Next?

Old 08-09-2003, 07:02 PM
Starlord

I live in a trailer park in the High Mojave Desert and the place is covered by
those trees, they are the only ones who seem to be able to take the high, dry
heat here. And every fall I pass out trash bags to people and when they are full
of leaves, I take'm out to my desert field garden and use'm as mulch around and
on top of my canna. The seeds don'e come out until spring and the winds here
blow most of them out into the far desert. To keep the roots from growing up
into my pots of plants I have by my trailer, I just put a board or brick under
the pot and thuse no roots. Without these trees here, the summer heat would be
even worst.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

Leslie wrote:

"Grandpa" wrote in message

Any tried and true methods of killing some chinese elms - short of
cutting them down? I'm really tired of their seeds spread all over my
yard and everyone of them growing - grrrrr.....

Even cutting these darn trees down won't kill them. They are truly the most
annoying tree I know of. Our neighbor has a huge one in their front yard
which spreads to the whole neighborhood. I just pulled 10 of the little ones
up and cut down two larger ones. I've used roundup on the stump after
cutting them down and that kills them. Right now instead of that though, I'm
trying Stump Out. Seems to be working, but we'll see.

Leslie

---

[IMG] code is On

likely culprit for never a Rock Elm seed anymore is Dutch Elm Disease Archimedes Plutonium[_2_] Plant Science 1 05-09-2009 11:19 AM
Rock-Elm and Siberian-Elm; slow growth = stronger wood? a_plutonium Plant Science 2 04-05-2007 08:24 AM
Ulmus thomasii, cork elm or rock elm [email protected] Plant Science 3 25-10-2005 08:09 PM
Chinese elm problems Iris Cohen Bonsai 1 22-03-2003 05:56 PM
Chinese Elm breaking dormancy Helena Handbasket Bonsai 0 05-02-2003 04:55 PM