Old 08-09-2003, 05:42 PM
J.R. Yezierski

Default Mesquite Seedlings

Zone 11 ?
Boston is zone 5 unless you have a micro climate in the downtown area.
I would be interested if mesquite would survive our New England winters.It
is such a beautiful wood but is expensive and difficult to purchase.
I for one would buy some lumber five years from now as I understand it grows
like our sumac.
"Ed Dente" wrote in message
Hi,
I picked up some mesquite and desert fern tree seeds from the ground in
Phoenix and brought them home to Boston. Just for a kick, after soaking
them overnight, I planted
them in peat pots and now I've got 3" seedlings from four or five of
them. I think
they send out long taproots, so I know I'll have to re-plant them in
something bigger soon.
I know this may seem silly, but is either tree by any chance hardy in a
sheltered area in Zone 11 (Boston)? I've already got some hardy opuntia
out and I thought....
If not, is it reasonable to pot them up?
Thanks,
Ed