Old 08-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Ed Dente

Default Mesquite Seedlings

Hi,
I picked up some mesquite and desert fern tree seeds from the ground in
Phoenix and brought them home to Boston. Just for a kick, after soaking
them overnight, I planted
them in peat pots and now I've got 3" seedlings from four or five of
them. I think
they send out long taproots, so I know I'll have to re-plant them in
something bigger soon.
I know this may seem silly, but is either tree by any chance hardy in a
sheltered area in Zone 11 (Boston)? I've already got some hardy opuntia
out and I thought....
If not, is it reasonable to pot them up?
Thanks,
Ed
Old 08-09-2003, 05:42 PM
J.R. Yezierski

Zone 11 ?
Boston is zone 5 unless you have a micro climate in the downtown area.
I would be interested if mesquite would survive our New England winters.It
is such a beautiful wood but is expensive and difficult to purchase.
I for one would buy some lumber five years from now as I understand it grows
like our sumac.

Old 08-09-2003, 08:22 PM
Ed Dente

Hi,
As soon as I sent this I realized how far off I was. I don't know what I was thinking
of. Zone 11!?! Ascribe it to early Monday morning.
Ed

J.R. Yezierski wrote:
: Zone 11 ?
: Boston is zone 5 unless you have a micro climate in the downtown area.
: I would be interested if mesquite would survive our New England winters.It
: is such a beautiful wood but is expensive and difficult to purchase.
: I for one would buy some lumber five years from now as I understand it grows
: like our sumac.
: ...
Old 09-09-2003, 01:12 AM
Lar

In article ,
says...
I know this may seem silly, but is either tree by any chance hardy in a
sheltered area in Zone 11 (Boston)? I've already got some hardy opuntia
out and I thought....
If not, is it reasonable to pot them up?

I think the closest to you the mesquite is found is
North Carolina, but I'm sure it will be different from
the plants in the Phoenix area. I have seen one that was
in a large pot that was suppose to be about 16 years
old. Supposedly within 6 years the tree was moved up
from a "seedling" pot to larger pots. It was in a 30-36
inch pot and she said that trick was every few years
after moving it into the last pot she would repot and
clip the roots before replanting. She also heavily
pruned it and the tree had the look of oversized bonsai
tree. If I remember right it was probably 6-8 feet tall
and 5-7 feet wide.
--

http://home.comcast.net/~larflu/owl1.jpg

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Old 09-09-2003, 02:22 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 00:04:27 GMT, Lar wrote:

http://home.comcast.net/~larflu/owl1.jpg

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Almost as kewl as the alligator!

Old 09-09-2003, 10:02 AM
Shell91

I am from west Texas and I know mesquite can handle some pretty cold weather
in winter. I don't know about it handling a winter long snow coverage.
They do have some amazing roots and will seek out water so don't plant
anywhere near water lines I don't see why mesquite would not do well if
it is protected during long cold spells

Shell

"Ed Dente" wrote in message
Hi,
I picked up some mesquite and desert fern tree seeds from the ground in
Phoenix and brought them home to Boston. Just for a kick, after soaking
them overnight, I planted
them in peat pots and now I've got 3" seedlings from four or five of
them. I think
they send out long taproots, so I know I'll have to re-plant them in
something bigger soon.
I know this may seem silly, but is either tree by any chance hardy in a
sheltered area in Zone 11 (Boston)? I've already got some hardy opuntia
out and I thought....
If not, is it reasonable to pot them up?
Thanks,
Ed

[IMG] code is On

Mesquite Tree Help VVCE,inc. Lawns 3 22-04-2005 03:44 AM
Where to buy Mesquite Seedlings? ccnoah Texas 2 17-03-2005 06:05 PM
Honey Locust Or Mesquite.. JD Gardening 3 02-12-2004 05:19 PM
Mesquite Trees Ed Dente Gardening 3 28-09-2004 04:12 AM
mesquite in Boston Ed Gardening 3 04-10-2003 04:02 AM