Old 08-09-2003, 07:02 PM
Martin Sykes

Default help with bay area..............

"Jimbo" wrote in message
I am thinking of removing a 300mm (2 ft) deep flower bed from beneath my

300mm is 1ft

front bay window - because I have been told it may be causing dampness and
damaging the brickwork.
The thing is, what is the best way to remove the soil and to what depth ?

You should be fine as long as you're 150mm ( 2 courses of bricks ) below the
damp proof course. ( You can usually see it poking through the pointing
somewhere round the house. )

also how do I prepare the ground - i.e. DPM ?
or stone etc ?
And do I then concrete with a DPM butted up to the brickwork or what ?

Not completely sure but I think as long as you're below the damp proof
course and the concrete slopes away from the house then there's nothing else
necessary. The 150mm is important because otherwise rain splashes up above
the DPC and causes the damp. You may be having problems if there are big
plants under the window which shed water onto the wall. Possibly ripping
them out and replacing with low-growing plants would be an easier and
cheaper option.

Martin