Old 08-09-2003, 06:22 PM
Jimbo

Default help with bay area..............

I am thinking of removing a 300mm (2 ft) deep flower bed from beneath my
front bay window - because I have been told it may be causing dampness and
damaging the brickwork.
The thing is, what is the best way to remove the soil and to what depth ?
also how do I prepare the ground - i.e. DPM ?
or stone etc ?
And do I then concrete with a DPM butted up to the brickwork or what ?

Any help/guidance gratefully accepted !

Jim

---

Old 08-09-2003, 07:02 PM
Martin Sykes

"Jimbo" wrote in message
I am thinking of removing a 300mm (2 ft) deep flower bed from beneath my

300mm is 1ft

front bay window - because I have been told it may be causing dampness and
damaging the brickwork.
The thing is, what is the best way to remove the soil and to what depth ?

You should be fine as long as you're 150mm ( 2 courses of bricks ) below the
damp proof course. ( You can usually see it poking through the pointing
somewhere round the house. )

also how do I prepare the ground - i.e. DPM ?
or stone etc ?
And do I then concrete with a DPM butted up to the brickwork or what ?

Not completely sure but I think as long as you're below the damp proof
course and the concrete slopes away from the house then there's nothing else
necessary. The 150mm is important because otherwise rain splashes up above
the DPC and causes the damp. You may be having problems if there are big
plants under the window which shed water onto the wall. Possibly ripping
them out and replacing with low-growing plants would be an easier and
cheaper option.

Martin

Old 08-09-2003, 07:45 PM
Ron

Before you put concrete right up to the house wall consider how dry it will
become under the foundations. If it's clay under your house, drying out
could cause problems. Using 14mm gravel chippings where you might have
thought of using concrete will allow moisture to reach the clay and I reckon
chippings will prevent loss of moisture as well.

Regards

Ron

P.S. Prospective burglars walking on chippings will make a noise which you
might hear and that's a bonus.

Old 09-09-2003, 12:12 AM
Franz Heymann

"Jimbo" wrote in message
I am thinking of removing a 300mm (2 ft)

300 mm is 1 ft
[snip]

Franz

Old 09-09-2003, 12:12 AM
Franz Heymann

?

You should be fine as long as you're 150mm ( 2 courses of bricks ) below

the
damp proof course. ( You can usually see it poking through the pointing
somewhere round the house. )

also how do I prepare the ground - i.e. DPM ?
or stone etc ?
And do I then concrete with a DPM butted up to the brickwork or what ?

Not completely sure but I think as long as you're below the damp proof
course and the concrete slopes away from the house then there's nothing

else
necessary. The 150mm is important because otherwise rain splashes up

above
the DPC and causes the damp.

I don't get this splashing lark.. What about the rain which quite normally
falls on the brickwork above the damp proof course?

[snip]

Franz

Old 11-09-2003, 01:26 AM
Michael Berridge

"Jimbo" wrote in message
[...]

Splashes are no problem it is only a problem if something causes
bridging from below the DPC to above it so water can constantly wick up
into the wall. My house had a damp problem when I moved in, but that was
because some SOB had rendered the outside wall right down to the ground,
including over the engineers bricks that the house is built on. An early
job was removing that rendering, and repairing the plaster work indoors,
result, no damp problem.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 11-09-2003, 08:43 AM
Franz Heymann

"Jimbo" wrote in message
[...]

That I understand, and have experienced.

My house had a damp problem when I moved in, but that was
because some SOB had rendered the outside wall right down to the ground,
including over the engineers bricks that the house is built on. An early
job was removing that rendering, and repairing the plaster work indoors,
result, no damp problem.

There are some idiots around, particularly in DIY circles.

Franz

SF Bay Area Chloramine Conversion Starts Today MattO Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 02-02-2004 08:14 AM
Bay Area Koi Show Judy Ponds 0 11-09-2003 03:19 AM
[IBC] SFO Bay Area - Bonsai Display and Demo - Sept 13 Bob Bugay Bonsai 0 10-09-2003 02:30 AM
Free, healthy harlequin rasboras - Bay Area, CA cindy Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:10 AM
SF Bay area ( Low traffic and low water) Cat Gardening 2 02-04-2003 04:32 AM