Old 09-09-2003, 01:12 AM
Lar

Default Mesquite Seedlings

In article ,
says...
I know this may seem silly, but is either tree by any chance hardy in a
sheltered area in Zone 11 (Boston)? I've already got some hardy opuntia
out and I thought....
If not, is it reasonable to pot them up?

I think the closest to you the mesquite is found is
North Carolina, but I'm sure it will be different from
the plants in the Phoenix area. I have seen one that was
in a large pot that was suppose to be about 16 years
old. Supposedly within 6 years the tree was moved up
from a "seedling" pot to larger pots. It was in a 30-36
inch pot and she said that trick was every few years
after moving it into the last pot she would repot and
clip the roots before replanting. She also heavily
pruned it and the tree had the look of oversized bonsai
tree. If I remember right it was probably 6-8 feet tall
and 5-7 feet wide.
--

http://home.comcast.net/~larflu/owl1.jpg

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!