Old 09-09-2003, 02:33 AM
Dave Engle

Default opinions re. profile

"Doug and Lois" wrote in message
I posted a question a while back about substrates. Oneoption I am

looking at
is "profile" (the stuff they sell at Home Depot and Lowes for pond

plants).
Anyone used it as a substrate? Do you use it straight or mix it

with
something else. Most imnportantly, were you able to grow any of the

"more
difficult" plant types????

I think that it's VERY comparable to Flourite with the exception of
its density. If it were just a little bit heavier, it'd be a welcome
price break from the expense of Flourite. As it is, I have had great
success in cutting costs by using Profile for the bottom half of my
substrate and Flourite as the top half. I'm very partial to the
simplicity of these two materials as well...
--
Dave Engle

DFW, TX USA
Independent Associate