Old 08-09-2003, 04:04 AM
Doug and Lois

Default opinions re. profile

I posted a question a while back about substrates. Oneoption I am looking at
is "profile" (the stuff they sell at Home Depot and Lowes for pond plants).
Anyone used it as a substrate? Do you use it straight or mix it with
something else. Most imnportantly, were you able to grow any of the "more
difficult" plant types????

Doug

Old 08-09-2003, 06:05 AM
Dinky

"Doug and Lois" wrote in message
I posted a question a while back about substrates. Oneoption I am looking

at
is "profile" (the stuff they sell at Home Depot and Lowes for pond

plants).
Anyone used it as a substrate? Do you use it straight or mix it with
something else. Most imnportantly, were you able to grow any of the "more
difficult" plant types????

Doug

I haven't used it myself, but I have read countless reviews and reports from
fishkeepers stating variations of "It's Crap".

billy

Old 08-09-2003, 06:25 AM
Racf

"Dinky" wrote in message

"Doug and Lois" wrote in message
I posted a question a while back about substrates. Oneoption I am

looking
at
is "profile" (the stuff they sell at Home Depot and Lowes for pond

plants).
Anyone used it as a substrate? Do you use it straight or mix it with
something else. Most imnportantly, were you able to grow any of the

"more
difficult" plant types????

Doug

I haven't used it myself, but I have read countless reviews and

reports from
fishkeepers stating variations of "It's Crap".

billy

I tried it for about 2 years in a 29 gallon High tank. I used 100%
profile. Its now dumped into one of our outdoor flower beds and the
weeds are growing great in it now. I got much better results from a
sand and gravel mix in another 29H tank setup precisely the same. I
replaced the profile with 100% sand, to see how it will compare.

Old 09-09-2003, 02:33 AM
Dave Engle

"Doug and Lois" wrote in message
I posted a question a while back about substrates. Oneoption I am

looking at
is "profile" (the stuff they sell at Home Depot and Lowes for pond

plants).
Anyone used it as a substrate? Do you use it straight or mix it

with
something else. Most imnportantly, were you able to grow any of the

"more
difficult" plant types????

I think that it's VERY comparable to Flourite with the exception of
its density. If it were just a little bit heavier, it'd be a welcome
price break from the expense of Flourite. As it is, I have had great
success in cutting costs by using Profile for the bottom half of my
substrate and Flourite as the top half. I'm very partial to the
simplicity of these two materials as well...
--
Dave Engle

DFW, TX USA
Independent Associate