Old 09-09-2003, 09:32 AM
Shell91

Default Snakes in the Garden

What do you do about snakes in the garden? Especially when they could be
one of 4 poisonous kind and at least 1 protected kind?

My problem is the babies get into the house. I'm not sure how they do it
but they show up inside, usually far from any door or window. I also get
geckos and anoles inside but they don't bother me near as much.

Now I know some will say the usual about them being more afraid of you that
you are of them. Ordinarily I would not care and would just leave them
alone but I have a small dog and a handicapped and ill mother to be
concerned about. We do see moccaisins and copperheads. Never seen a coral
or a rattle snake though. And yes we do have a ditch behind the back fence
which has a creek (sort of) and it's a flood control area so they stir up
both snakes and rats when they clear it out.

I need advice on discouraging them from coming into the yard at all.

Thanks

Shell