Old 09-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Judi Canaan

Default Pine trees loaded with cones

I have noticed that here in Kalamazoo, Michigan many of the pine trees are absolutely loaded with pine cones, more so than in other years. We did not have either a very good spring/summer nor a very bad spring/summer, just average. The trees do not seem
to be distressed or dyring. Is there a reason for the trees having so many cones, or is this just a natural cycle? If I collected cones and planted them, would I get new trees, or is there something special that needs to be done with the cones, or the pl
anting before new trees would grow? Any information would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Judi Canaan
Kalamazoo, MI