Old 09-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Judi Canaan

Default Pine trees loaded with cones

I have noticed that here in Kalamazoo, Michigan many of the pine trees are absolutely loaded with pine cones, more so than in other years. We did not have either a very good spring/summer nor a very bad spring/summer, just average. The trees do not seem
to be distressed or dyring. Is there a reason for the trees having so many cones, or is this just a natural cycle? If I collected cones and planted them, would I get new trees, or is there something special that needs to be done with the cones, or the pl
anting before new trees would grow? Any information would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Judi Canaan
Kalamazoo, MI
Old 09-09-2003, 03:02 PM
Sed5555

If I collected cones and planted them, would I get new trees, or is there
something special that needs to be done with the cones, or the planting
before new trees would grow?

The cones are only the shells of the seeds. By the time you find them on the
ground, most of the seeds have already been had by birds.
sed5555
Old 09-09-2003, 06:32 PM
D Kat

My white pine has a ton of cones this year... We had a very wet year though.
I know that there are many studies out right now documenting large changes
in the environment due to global warming and that increased CO2 in the
atmosphere increases growth in plants....

Anyway, fire is generally what helps pine tree seeds to germinate since you
need something to open up the cone to allow the seeds to be released. I
have white pines come up from seed naturally but rarely without a fire
(luckily). You could experiment with the cones in your barBQ or
fireplace.... Collect the data on what works and let us all know? DKat

Old 09-09-2003, 06:32 PM
Phisherman

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 08:52:10 -0400, Judi
wrote:

I have noticed that here in Kalamazoo, Michigan many of the pine trees are absolutely loaded with pine cones, more so than in other years. We did not have either a very good spring/summer nor a very bad spring/summer, just average. The trees do not seem

to be distressed or dyring. Is there a reason for the trees having so many cones, or is this just a natural cycle? If I collected cones and planted them, would I get new trees, or is there something special that needs to be done with the cones, or the p
lanting before new trees would grow? Any information would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Judi Canaan
Kalamazoo, MI

Ours are loaded with cones too. At times the tree is boiling with
chickadees, nuthatches, wrens, and squirrels eating the pine nuts.
Pull off a cone and take it apart--you'll find the seeds to plant.
Our stand of pine trees won't let much grow except moss underneath it,
but they are a blessing to enjoy shade and to clean the air. You may
want to purchase another kind of pine, maybe one that is known to be
resistant to the pine borer. So far, our pines have been fortunate.
Old 10-09-2003, 01:12 PM
Allview

There is an old belief that when the oak produces lots of acorns we are going
to have a hard winter. Maybe that goes for pine cones too.

Marilyn in Ohio

Old 11-09-2003, 10:04 PM
Joe

"Judi Canaan" wrote in message
I have noticed that here in Kalamazoo, Michigan many of the pine trees are

absolutely loaded with pine cones, more so than in other years. We did not
have either a very good spring/summer nor a very bad spring/summer, just
average. The trees do not seem to be distressed or dyring. Is there a
reason for the trees having so many cones, or is this just a natural cycle?
If I collected cones and planted them, would I get new trees, or is there
something special that needs to be done with the cones, or the planting
before new trees would grow? Any information would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Judi Canaan
Kalamazoo, MI

In answer to your question, heavy cone production is a response to drought.
The tree is stressed and is trying better its chancs of passing on progeny.

[IMG] code is On

Pine cones keep kitty out of flower beds [email protected] Gardening 15 15-03-2008 02:03 AM
Pine cones are falling and scales aren't opening Elena Sofia Lawns 1 15-07-2006 05:07 AM
Pine tree with huge cones mark_monroe Gardening 1 30-04-2006 07:16 PM
Fallen Pine Cones meirman Lawns 3 20-11-2004 12:11 AM
[IBC] Pine Cones Dan Saulsbury Bonsai 4 11-07-2003 11:37 PM