Old 09-09-2003, 03:22 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default Raised Bed (Small) What To Use?

Down Under On The Bucket Farm wrote:

And, generally, I am very interested in
suggestions for veggies that will work with that
soil depth. I am doing a bit of research to find
the best spacing. Since this is my first year,
and I a focussed upon just learning, I am open to
anything. My plans include maybe some lettuce,
broccoli, capsicum (bell pepper), and ???
(Whatever will fit.

(Tomatoes are scheduled for late Oct, in 20-litre
buckets.)

squarefootgardening.com will help you with spacing. Also you should
consider if you can grow vertically (also covered there). Using a
frame you grow things up rather than allow them to sprawl along the
ground consuming more ground space.

I think it is important to grow what you eat and worry less about the
depth. Carrots will grow they just won't be straight, and shorter
varieties exist. For salad I prefer multiple types of lettuce,
spinach, radishes, carrots, snow peas or snap peas, peppers &
tomatoes. I love onion and garlic. You can also read up on succession
planting. Early spring plants can be planted to share an area with
late summer. I had radishes, lettuces, spinach, snap peas and short
carrots around my pepper and tomato plants. By the time the early
crops harvested and died the tomatoes and peppers started to take off
and overshadow them. FOr some carrots the timing was off, I ended up
with tiny carrots(not enough sun towards the end)

Squash, melons, cucumbers all like to sprawl so you'll benefit from
growing them vertically at the north end of the plot and keeping them
manageable. It seems to me that plants only grow as large as their
root systems can maintain. If there isn't enough depth/footage you may
end up with a smaller plant with fewer fruits, but it will grow. Rich
soil amendments and consistent moisture compensate some for small
space.

Interplanting herbs and flowers are said to be beneficial. Nasturtiums
successfully attracted aphids and kept them off my other plants.
Thyme, Oregano, Parsley, Chives, Sage are all intermixed in corners of
big pots and around the big plants. (Oregano is in a separate pot-it
can spreads like a weed). Dill is very tall and Basil can be a small
bush to itself.
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener