Old 09-09-2003, 06:32 PM
Phisherman

Default Pine trees loaded with cones

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 08:52:10 -0400, Judi
wrote:

I have noticed that here in Kalamazoo, Michigan many of the pine trees are absolutely loaded with pine cones, more so than in other years. We did not have either a very good spring/summer nor a very bad spring/summer, just average. The trees do not seem

to be distressed or dyring. Is there a reason for the trees having so many cones, or is this just a natural cycle? If I collected cones and planted them, would I get new trees, or is there something special that needs to be done with the cones, or the p
lanting before new trees would grow? Any information would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Judi Canaan
Kalamazoo, MI

Ours are loaded with cones too. At times the tree is boiling with
chickadees, nuthatches, wrens, and squirrels eating the pine nuts.
Pull off a cone and take it apart--you'll find the seeds to plant.
Our stand of pine trees won't let much grow except moss underneath it,
but they are a blessing to enjoy shade and to clean the air. You may
want to purchase another kind of pine, maybe one that is known to be
resistant to the pine borer. So far, our pines have been fortunate.