Old 10-09-2003, 05:42 AM
PierceO

Default Need recommendation for new engine for Troy-Bilt Horse Tiller

I've got one of the old cast-iron Troy-Bilt "horse" tillers with the
6HP Craftsman/Tecumseh engines. Haven't had any problems with it in
over 20 years. Unfortunately, when tilling too close to a brick wall,
the tines hit a rock and both the tiller and I went into the bricks. I
suppose that's beside the point - other than the fact that the entire
carburetor was ripped/broken off the engine block. I really screwed
up.

Anyway, now I'm in the market to replace the engine. My questions a

1. Which brand should I replace with? Tecumseh or Briggs & Stratton or
"other"
2. Should I stick with the 6HP or go larger? (residential gardening)
3. What should I expect to pay for the engine?
4. Suggestions on sites to purchase engine.
5. Does it make sense to replace the block or buy a new engine?
6. If I have to pay a small engine mechanic for the labor to replace
the block, would it be cheaper to pay him to mount a new engine?

I'm sure that there are probably more questions, but I hate to take up
so much of your time. Thanks in advance.

Blistered Hands in Hotlanta