Old 10-09-2003, 05:42 AM
PierceO

Default Need recommendation for new engine for Troy-Bilt Horse Tiller

I've got one of the old cast-iron Troy-Bilt "horse" tillers with the
6HP Craftsman/Tecumseh engines. Haven't had any problems with it in
over 20 years. Unfortunately, when tilling too close to a brick wall,
the tines hit a rock and both the tiller and I went into the bricks. I
suppose that's beside the point - other than the fact that the entire
carburetor was ripped/broken off the engine block. I really screwed
up.

Anyway, now I'm in the market to replace the engine. My questions a

1. Which brand should I replace with? Tecumseh or Briggs & Stratton or
"other"
2. Should I stick with the 6HP or go larger? (residential gardening)
3. What should I expect to pay for the engine?
4. Suggestions on sites to purchase engine.
5. Does it make sense to replace the block or buy a new engine?
6. If I have to pay a small engine mechanic for the labor to replace
the block, would it be cheaper to pay him to mount a new engine?

I'm sure that there are probably more questions, but I hate to take up
so much of your time. Thanks in advance.

Blistered Hands in Hotlanta
Old 10-09-2003, 08:12 PM
FarmerDill

[...]

Do you mean that you broke the block, smashed the carburetor, or stripped the
manifold bolts, If the latter two it may pay you to repair. I prefer Briggs
myself, they are readily available and the replacement is easy.
http://www.northerntool.com/ is a good place to comparison shop although I have
foud the local TSC comparable when shipping costs are considered, Most "Horses
used a 7 hp, but judge by your 6, Could you have used more power? Another route
is a used engine but the horizotal shaft engines are not used that much anymore
and may be more difficult to find,
New a 6,5 hp Briggs Intek I/C will run $300- 400 depending on the setup. a 6.5
hp Honda about $450 and an 8 hp Tecumseh about $325
Old 10-09-2003, 09:42 PM
Roy

The old cast iron Tecumsehs were great engines, nothing like the junk
(IMHO) that they produce today. I would suspect that if you only need
a carb replaced it is gonna cost you almost as much as a new engine
that is complete. I had a OHV Tec 5hp that needed a carb, and it was
over 101.00 for the carb alone......but you could buy an entire fully
assembled motor for a little over $165. Makes you wonder. If it was me
I would probably buy a new B & S or Kohler engine and get rid of the
20 year old motor. You can get some pretty nice I/C type B & S OHV
motors that should bolt up or come pretty close to fitting for under
$225.00 new in the box. I see someone already pointed you to Northern
tool, however these folks are like Harbor Freight......and odds are
don't carry parts etc, but places like Tulsa Small Engine and Small
Eng Dist does, and they also carry a larger selection of motors and
these people know engines, as thats what they deal in, engines. Small
engine distributors is also a greatplace with a large selection and
good prices. If you want to go all out, get a Honda, but it will cost
more than any Briggs will. Stay away from the consumer grade Hondas,
as they are nothing like the commercial grade Honda motors. The
Consumer grade is a model type GX and the commercial grade is a GC.
Measure your crankshaft diam, and also your 4 bolt mount pattern, The
crank diameter is the main concern though. The folks at either of
these two places can make a recomendation if you send them an email or
give em a call, and can tell you what motors will fit and what would
be best.

Robin also makes a super long life engine that runs with the Hondas,
it used to be Wisconsin at one time, now its Subaru/Robin.
If you can go larger it would be better, but what you run into is that
these smaller motors are lumped into different classes, and each hp
class increases in mount size as well as crankshaft diameter. Crank
diameter is what is going to be the determining factor above all
else, as the mount on a tiller can be redrilled if need be, but most
are standard bolt patterns, in a given class. You may be able to step
up to a B&S 6.5hp without making any mods to your tiller at all, and
shold be a bolt up fit.

http://www.tulsaenginewarehouse.com/

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/

On 10 Sep 2003 19:02:19 GMT, (FarmerDill) wrote:

x-
x-I've got one of the old cast-iron Troy-Bilt "horse" tillers with the
x-6HP Craftsman/Tecumseh engines. Haven't had any problems with it in
x-over 20 years. Unfortunately, when tilling too close to a brick wall,
x-the tines hit a rock and both the tiller and I went into the bricks. I
x-suppose that's beside the point - other than the fact that the entire
x-carburetor was ripped/broken off the engine block. I really screwed
x-up.
x-
x-Anyway, now I'm in the market to replace the engine. My questions a
x-
x-1. Which brand should I replace with? Tecumseh or Briggs & Stratton or
x-"other"
x-2. Should I stick with the 6HP or go larger? (residential gardening)
x-3. What should I expect to pay for the engine?
x-4. Suggestions on sites to purchase engine.
x-5. Does it make sense to replace the block or buy a new engine?
x-6. If I have to pay a small engine mechanic for the labor to replace
x-the block, would it be cheaper to pay him to mount a new engine?
x-
x-I'm sure that there are probably more questions, but I hate to take up
x-so much of your time. Thanks in advance.
x-
x-Blistered Hands in Hotlanta
x-
x-Do you mean that you broke the block, smashed the carburetor, or stripped the
x-manifold bolts, If the latter two it may pay you to repair. I prefer Briggs
x-myself, they are readily available and the replacement is easy.
x-http://www.northerntool.com/ is a good place to comparison shop although I have
x-foud the local TSC comparable when shipping costs are considered, Most "Horses
x-used a 7 hp, but judge by your 6, Could you have used more power? Another route
x-is a used engine but the horizotal shaft engines are not used that much anymore
x-and may be more difficult to find,
x-New a 6,5 hp Briggs Intek I/C will run $300- 400 depending on the setup. a 6.5
x-hp Honda about $450 and an 8 hp Tecumseh about $325

--
Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
Old 10-09-2003, 10:02 PM
Roy

On 10 Sep 2003 19:02:19 GMT, (FarmerDill) wrote:
A 6.5hp OHV B & S Intek will bolt right up in place of the Tecumseh
you now have. Its a recomended replacement engine for the 6hp
Troybuilts, and will run you $225, plus shipping. I live about 175
miles or less from Hotlanta (Central Alabama), and my 6.5 intek cost
me $22.00 in shipping from this place about 2 months ago. I used it on
a home made logsplitter. No need to pay a mechanic, as its just a
couple of nuts and bolts thats required to swap a motor out, really
basic simple wrench turning.
http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/....asp?PN=121432

Your reference to a block I assume you mean a short block. They are no
longer available for the motor yoou have unless you happen to stumble
on new old stock somewhere and then it will cost you more in the long
run, and you will still need a carb, and assorted other parts off your
old engine. Best bet is to upgrade with a better engine and new life
at this stage of the game. Don't you have a website with you along a
long row of firewood? Your user name rings a bell, and IIRC chatted
with you in a rural living newsgroup a few years back.
Regards

Old 11-09-2003, 05:32 PM
ed

I jus replaced the engine on by BCS, it had 10HP Allen (Italian)
with a 13HP OHV Honda. it has So much more power,
makes the old 10Hp seem like 5Hp,,, not too mention SO much easier starting!
Good luck!,,,, Ed 2c,,,, in CA,,, :-)

snip - snip
om...

Old 11-09-2003, 11:03 PM
PierceO

"ed" wrote in message ink.net...
I jus replaced the engine on by BCS, it had 10HP Allen (Italian)
with a 13HP OHV Honda. it has So much more power,
makes the old 10Hp seem like 5Hp,,, not too mention SO much easier starting!
Good luck!,,,, Ed 2c,,,, in CA,,, :-)

snip - snip
"PierceO" wrote in message
om...

Anyway, now I'm in the market to replace the engine. My questions a

1. Which brand should I replace with? Tecumseh or Briggs & Stratton or
"other"

I'm sure that there are probably more questions, but I hate to take up
so much of your time. Thanks in advance.

Blistered Hands in Hotlanta

Thanks ya'll. This is helpful.

Ed, With a 13 HP engine on that horse, I'd love to see you running
behind that thing when it his some hard ground....... Thanks again.