Old 10-09-2003, 11:04 PM
Marty Underwood

Default Briggs and Strattion 18hp

Hello everyone,

First time posting here but have read more information than I thought I
would ever need to know, Thanks.

I have a slight (I Hope) problem with an older White lawn tractor model
Cruisematic GT-180. I got this mower from a friend who got it for free. The
gentlemen who gave it to him said he couldn't keep it running so he bought a
new one. The engine is a Briggs and Stratton 18hp I Twin.

When I got it the fuel line and fuel filter were shot, replaced. Cleaned the
tank out. I also had to adjust the magneto so I could get spark. I rebuilt
the carb with an Briggs rebuild kit. It had new spark plugs in it.

Once I got all this done it fired right up and I have been using it most of
the summer. However, my problem is this:

If I increase the throttle to where it will cut at a more than crawling
speed it will die immediately and not restart unless I loosen the top of the
carb and let fuel drain out. It then restarts immediately. I have adjusted
the high speed needle valve on the carb many times to recommendations by
mower shops but it only helps a little. The mower runs great except for this
problem. If I hit taller than normal grass say 3.5 inches or bermuda grass
that is 2 inches it will bog down and die with the sympton above. I can
quickly reduce the throttle down to idle to prevent it from stalling.

My guess is it is not delivering enough fuel when it gets to a certain rpm
or load. Many times it will die at half throttle so I don't think it is a
governor issue but I could be wrong. Any ideas as to why this would do this.
I have tried adjusting the idle speed with different settings on the high
speed needle. It is obviously pulling fuel to the carb just not delivering
above a specific range of opertation.

any help would be appreciated for I have been push mowing the last couple of
weeks which is better for my health and even thought about getting a reel
mower. Ah well winter is a coming and I just overseeded and patched areas so
the rider is actually a little to heavy for the lawn right now. I will
probably sell it once I get this problem fixed any how.

thanks
Marty Underwood