Old 11-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Stephen M. Henning

Default please help me identify this fertilizer

(ted) wrote:

I remember seeing an ad for a lawn fertilizer on TV. It says we just
have to buy and use it twice a year. I'm really getting tired of these
fertilizers that say we have to use in Spring, Summer, Fall and
Winter.

Can anyone please tell me what is that fertilizer that I can just use
twice a year and it will maintain the lawn well? Two applications are
enough or should I do that four times a year thing? I want my lawn to
be healthy and beautiful. I want to see how much the marginal benefit
is by fertilizing it 4 times versus 2.

The fertilizer is the same, the directions and marketing are the only
difference.

There are basically two different nitrogen-bearing fertilizers that are
used in lawn fertilizer: processed urea and ammonium compounds (ammonium
nitrate and ammonium sulfate). Processed urea is slow acting and
ammonium compounds are fast acting. Your more expensive fertilizers use
more processed urea and hence last longer. No matter what brand you
buy, look at the label and see what you are getting.

The other components of lawn fertilizer and phosphorous- and
potassium-bearing compounds.

A good reference on this is:
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...re/DG6551.html

They show how a well maintained lawn can get by with one fertilizer
treatment in September.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman