Old 10-09-2003, 08:02 PM
ted

Default please help me identify this fertilizer

I remember seeing an ad for a lawn fertilizer on TV. It says we just
have to buy and use it twice a year. I'm really getting tired of these
fertilizers that say we have to use in Spring, Summer, Fall and
Winter.

Can anyone please tell me what is that fertilizer that I can just use
twice a year and it will maintain the lawn well? Two applications are
enough or should I do that four times a year thing? I want my lawn to
be healthy and beautiful. I want to see how much the marginal benefit
is by fertilizing it 4 times versus 2.

Any comments, please feel free.

Thanks.
Old 11-09-2003, 10:02 AM
mridul

hi ted...
This is mridul and i'm from india. Actually i don't know what
advertisement have u seen on the TV but for you garden i will suggest
u to go for "organic gardening". Many indian farmers, gardeners are
using "BONE MEAL" as fertilizers. Like if u plant rose the while
sowing the plant just add 1 teaspoon of "bone meal" and do it after
every three months. remember....DO NOT PUT MORE THAN A TEASPOON
OTHERWISE THE PLANT WILL DIE. bone meal is availabale in bulk
quatities over here. i guess u'll not find problem to get it.

regards

Mridul

Old 11-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Stephen M. Henning

(ted) wrote:

I remember seeing an ad for a lawn fertilizer on TV. It says we just
have to buy and use it twice a year. I'm really getting tired of these
fertilizers that say we have to use in Spring, Summer, Fall and
Winter.

Can anyone please tell me what is that fertilizer that I can just use
twice a year and it will maintain the lawn well? Two applications are
enough or should I do that four times a year thing? I want my lawn to
be healthy and beautiful. I want to see how much the marginal benefit
is by fertilizing it 4 times versus 2.

The fertilizer is the same, the directions and marketing are the only
difference.

There are basically two different nitrogen-bearing fertilizers that are
used in lawn fertilizer: processed urea and ammonium compounds (ammonium
nitrate and ammonium sulfate). Processed urea is slow acting and
ammonium compounds are fast acting. Your more expensive fertilizers use
more processed urea and hence last longer. No matter what brand you
buy, look at the label and see what you are getting.

The other components of lawn fertilizer and phosphorous- and
potassium-bearing compounds.

A good reference on this is:
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...re/DG6551.html

They show how a well maintained lawn can get by with one fertilizer
treatment in September.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 12-09-2003, 08:32 PM
Babberney

On 10 Sep 2003 11:56:32 -0700, (ted) wrote:

I remember seeing an ad for a lawn fertilizer on TV. It says we just
have to buy and use it twice a year. I'm really getting tired of these
fertilizers that say we have to use in Spring, Summer, Fall and
Winter.

Can anyone please tell me what is that fertilizer that I can just use
twice a year and it will maintain the lawn well? Two applications are
enough or should I do that four times a year thing? I want my lawn to
be healthy and beautiful. I want to see how much the marginal benefit
is by fertilizing it 4 times versus 2.

Any comments, please feel free.

Thanks.

I haven't fertilized my St. Augustine lawn in years, and it looks
quite nice IMO. I leave the cuttings where they lay after mowing.
YMMV. But the best suggestion is the previous reply: have the soil
tested and fertilize based on the results. The ads you see are
designed to sell fertilizer, not make your lawn healthy. Those
companies that produce the ads know that if your lawn looks bad
afterward, you are likely to miss the connection between
overfertilizing and the poor results, so maybe you'll go buy their
other chemicals to try to correct some imagined problem.

I feel like I've just been bagged and dressed by a troll, but these
facts bear repeating often.

Keith
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit
http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www.treesaregood.com/

Old 16-09-2003, 01:32 PM
Chris Owens

ted wrote:

I remember seeing an ad for a lawn fertilizer on TV. It says we just
have to buy and use it twice a year. I'm really getting tired of these
fertilizers that say we have to use in Spring, Summer, Fall and
Winter.

Can anyone please tell me what is that fertilizer that I can just use
twice a year and it will maintain the lawn well? Two applications are
enough or should I do that four times a year thing? I want my lawn to
be healthy and beautiful. I want to see how much the marginal benefit
is by fertilizing it 4 times versus 2.

Any comments, please feel free.

Thanks.

Why not add a light layer of compost every fall and be done with
it. Fertilizing lawns in spring and summer just stresses them,
anyway.

Chris Owens