Old 11-09-2003, 09:13 PM
Cris

Default Low, LOW light options

The following do well in my tank at 1.5wpg regular flourescent:
Hydrocoytle leucocephala
Aponogeton
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Cryptocoryne spiralis
Saggitaria sublata
Vallisneria spiralis and natans
Echinodorus amazonicus
Water sprite
Nymphaea lotus
Amazon frogbit (I think)
Bacopa caroliniana (floating - not enough light for planted)
Anubias nana
Java fern
Lemna minor (but believe me - you do NOT want this! It's a pest)

What didn't survive for lack of light:
Bacopa
Ludwigia repens
Rotala wallichii
Myriophyllum
Alternanthera reineckii

Cris

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 18:10:30 GMT, "t"
wrote:

I have recently setup a 125 gal tank I'd had in storage for quite a while.
I never kept plants in it before. Somehow, over the years, the original 1
tube hood/light cover got ruined. I build a new, flip top out of plywood.

Have you seen the prices on 6' long high-output systems? I'd have to take a
mortgage out to finance my hobby? So, I'm putting in more generic lighting
and will get about 1 to 1.5 watts per gallon.

I'd like to plant the tank for some of the healthier properties of having
live plants in an aquarium provide. What species of plants could live in
such a low-light environment? Here are a few of the species that I THINK
might work. Can I get your input?

Anubias barteri
cryptocoryne crispatula
cryptocoryne wendtii