Old 11-09-2003, 10:03 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default converting grassy slope to garden for next year?

My landlords have offered for me to use a 5x12 square of lawn at th
eedge of my patio for next year's gardening. This year was a definite
success.

The area has a gentle slope (about 4" in elevation) and is covered in
grass and weedy bits. I have a hole in th center which I have seen
chipmunks dart into but I don't think it is their home. There is a
large hydrangea (5' round) at one end, open grass at the other. The
north and south edges are defined by the patio and a rock retaining
wall down to the gravel and grass of the next level down.

I'm contemplating what I would need to do to prep the grassy area into
a garden.
How far should I stay away from the Hydrangea? I don't want to dig and
damage its root.
I would probably want to turn up the top 6" or more and add
fertilizer, peat, perlite, humus, manure. Also bring it more level so
I don't get runoff and puddles.
Do I need to strip/throw away the sod, or can I turn it under and
maybe black plastic it to kill the grass?
I seem to recall reading about a treatment of heavy newspaper for a
few months.
Should I do it now before winter?

I'm not concerned with it looking like a mix of grass and vegetables,
although weeding would be the big issue. I'm trying to judge how much
work vs. what I would grow there. I can probably grow 2' tall plants
without shading the containers at the edge of the patio. I can always
move those around. I'm tempted to try a square of corn.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener