Old 11-09-2003, 10:04 PM
Joe

Default Pine trees loaded with cones

"Judi Canaan" wrote in message
I have noticed that here in Kalamazoo, Michigan many of the pine trees are

absolutely loaded with pine cones, more so than in other years. We did not
have either a very good spring/summer nor a very bad spring/summer, just
average. The trees do not seem to be distressed or dyring. Is there a
reason for the trees having so many cones, or is this just a natural cycle?
If I collected cones and planted them, would I get new trees, or is there
something special that needs to be done with the cones, or the planting
before new trees would grow? Any information would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Judi Canaan
Kalamazoo, MI

In answer to your question, heavy cone production is a response to drought.
The tree is stressed and is trying better its chancs of passing on progeny.