Old 12-09-2003, 01:51 AM

Default Low, LOW light options

You might find it more prudent to down size your plan here if $ is an
issue.
Try a 20-55 gallon tank etc.

Shop lights will work well, so will electronic ballast and DIY
installations and mylar for reflective material etc. You should be
able to get 240w of T-12's(6 x40w) in there no problem. That's enough
light for most anything you'll want to do.

Use CO2?
You can try to DIY but anything over a 55 gal is tough to do and a gas
tank CO2 would be the best thing to improve growth/health. Even at
1-1.5 w/gal, adding CO2 will make the tank do much better.

I'd like to plant the tank for some of the healthier properties of having
live plants in an aquarium provide.

Well then focus on the plants rather than limiting by not enough
light/CO2 etc. You want healthy plants then grow the plants well.

Don't expect there to be a plant that does well submersed, little
light, no CO2 added and lots of fish. Be realistic here.
Plants need light, CO2 and nutrients to grow well, nothing else is
going to change that.

What species of plants could live in
such a low-light environment? Here are a few of the species that I THINK
might work. Can I get your input?

They will poke along. Adding Excel, CO2 etc will help a great deal.
DIY hood will also make it easy to add as much light as you want.

You don't need a PC lighting set up but if you want to look around, AH
supply has good deals.

Try the DIY hood, look around for CO2 tanks/reg's etc.
The plant cuttings can pay for these items quickly FYI.

Regards.,
Tom Barr

Anubias barteri
cryptocoryne crispatula