Old 12-09-2003, 12:20 PM
Nicholas Steel

Default Some kikuyu advise needed

My aim is to plant kikuyu throughout my front garden and Ive been
partially successful.

My method is this - to hack some out of a roadside, roots and all, and
then tranplant said patch in my garden. The piece is generally about
10cm x 10 cm.

I then water it and eventually it spreads. I noticed that when I till
the earth around the planted patch it spreads lightening fast. I have
clay soil which seems to harden when there is no moisture.

I use liquid fertiliser (Miracle Grow - is this any good?)every two
weeks.

Should I till the earth around my patches to encourage growth or will
spiking it with a pitch fork suffice?

What fertilser regime should I adhere to?

Any other tips would be most welcome.

Regards