Old 12-09-2003, 05:23 PM
PlainBill

Default BulkHead Fittings

I suggest using PVC to MPT and PVC to FPT (male and female pipe
thread) adapters. This works quite well with the 1 1/2" and 2" sizes
necessary for my barrel filter; smaller sizes should be even easier.

Make the hole just large enough to accomodate the male threads.
Ideally, you will be able to screw the male adapter easily into the
hole, but it will be snug enough you can't pull it out. Obviously,
the female adapter is screwed onto the male adapter and tightened down
to make a tight seal with the drum wall.

Some people suggest cutting a gasket from a scrap of pond liner
material. I simply coated the threads and mating surfaces liberally
with clear RTV before screwing the parts together. As a bonus, it
makes an excellent thread lubricant, making it easy to tighten the
parts together.

PlainBill

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 01:41:42 -0400, "Kodiak"
wrote:

Where can I get bulkhead fittings 1", 3/4", 1/2" without having to pay a
fortune. (mail order)
These are fittings with a nut on both sides so you can attach it to the
bottom of a vessel or container,
eg: used to make a biological filter out of a plastic barrel, so you can
attach a hose to a vessel etc...
My local hardware wants 28$ for a 3/4" fitting.