Old 12-09-2003, 08:32 PM
Babberney

Default please help me identify this fertilizer

On 10 Sep 2003 11:56:32 -0700, (ted) wrote:

I remember seeing an ad for a lawn fertilizer on TV. It says we just
have to buy and use it twice a year. I'm really getting tired of these
fertilizers that say we have to use in Spring, Summer, Fall and
Winter.

Can anyone please tell me what is that fertilizer that I can just use
twice a year and it will maintain the lawn well? Two applications are
enough or should I do that four times a year thing? I want my lawn to
be healthy and beautiful. I want to see how much the marginal benefit
is by fertilizing it 4 times versus 2.

Any comments, please feel free.

Thanks.

I haven't fertilized my St. Augustine lawn in years, and it looks
quite nice IMO. I leave the cuttings where they lay after mowing.
YMMV. But the best suggestion is the previous reply: have the soil
tested and fertilize based on the results. The ads you see are
designed to sell fertilizer, not make your lawn healthy. Those
companies that produce the ads know that if your lawn looks bad
afterward, you are likely to miss the connection between
overfertilizing and the poor results, so maybe you'll go buy their
other chemicals to try to correct some imagined problem.

I feel like I've just been bagged and dressed by a troll, but these
facts bear repeating often.

Keith
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit
http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www.treesaregood.com/