Old 12-09-2003, 09:42 PM
John Bachman

Default perennials for under Norway Maple?

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 21:39:23 GMT, "Stephen M. Henning"
wrote:

In article ,
(Alison) wrote:

My small front yard garden (all perennials) is about 6 feet away from
a large, old Norway Maple street tree. While the garden faces south, I
would consider it a part-shade garden. The main problem is the
incredibly invasive tree roots that are literally strangling the life
out of some of my plants. Some of the plants seem to be able to fight
back, but I am getting more and more dead zones in the garden. Any
recommendations for plants that can handle this site,which aren't
totally invasive?

As you have discovered, the Norway Maple is one of the most invasive
trees there are. Not only do the roots invade but volunteers sprout
up everywhere and pretty soon, no trees other than NM.

Hmmmpph. I always thought that Norwegians were a peacable lot who
only bothered fish.

John