Old 11-09-2003, 04:42 PM
Alison

Default perennials for under Norway Maple?

My small front yard garden (all perennials) is about 6 feet away from
a large, old Norway Maple street tree. While the garden faces south, I
would consider it a part-shade garden. The main problem is the
incredibly invasive tree roots that are literally strangling the life
out of some of my plants. Some of the plants seem to be able to fight
back, but I am getting more and more dead zones in the garden. Any
recommendations for plants that can handle this site,which aren't
totally invasive?
Old 11-09-2003, 07:22 PM
paghat

In article ,
(Alison) wrote:

My small front yard garden (all perennials) is about 6 feet away from
a large, old Norway Maple street tree. While the garden faces south, I
would consider it a part-shade garden. The main problem is the
incredibly invasive tree roots that are literally strangling the life
out of some of my plants. Some of the plants seem to be able to fight
back, but I am getting more and more dead zones in the garden. Any
recommendations for plants that can handle this site,which aren't
totally invasive?

Assuming you're in a temperate zone, then:

Epimediums would do fine amidst the maple roots.

Crane's-bills would do well unless you failed to get water to them; the
maple roots can suck them dry otherwise, but wtth sufficient water the
crane's-bills quite naturally grow up near the bases the trees & shrubs.

Hardy cyclamens are adapted for life in just the conditions you outline.
But they come & go seasonally; for more of an evergreen presence, asarum
wild gingers should do great.

For something BIG that should do well, Wallich's Wood Fern or Western
Sword Fern could be very impressive in such a spot.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/
Old 16-09-2003, 01:42 AM
Alison

Thanks for the advice. I saw your web page while looking up those
ferns. I live in Rhode Island (Zone 6?) Will they work here? Also, any
particular kind of cranesbill? My "Johnson's Blue" is not doing too
well there--floppy and not too many blooms.

Old 16-09-2003, 05:22 PM
paghat

(Alison) wrote in message m...
Thanks for the advice. I saw your web page while looking up those
ferns. I live in Rhode Island (Zone 6?) Will they work here? Also, any
particular kind of cranesbill? My "Johnson's Blue" is not doing too
well there--floppy and not too many blooms.

Most cranesbills will do fine in zone 6. I have a disappointing
"Johnson's Blue" as well, & have seen many other complaints about from
a cranesbill e-list. Apparently many things labeled "Johnson's Blue"
are only approximations & not the real strain, & the majority are
inferior for bloom. Ones that perform extremely well include
"Patricia" "Lilac Plenum" "Victor Reiter Jr" & "Rozanne."

As for Wallich's Woodfern in zone 6, it'll do well down to zone 5, but
I don't think it would be evergreen as it is here in zone 8. It's
possible the common, smaller "Deer Fern" would still be evergreen even
in zone 6.

-paghat the ratgirl