Old 13-09-2003, 01:22 AM
Shepherd

Default Abundant acorns

"R.J. Rabenberg" wrote in message
I'm not sure this is even the right place, but many gardeners subscribe
to information found in The Old Farmers Almanac and the like. I live in
SE South Dakota and have a 75+ year burr oak in my yard. This year I
have so many acorns that ther ground is literally covered with them.
Does anyone know if this may be a sign of an impending hard long winter?
TIA,
RJ

I have three oak trees about the same size, and I guess age.

Last year one tree produced a very large quantity of acorns. The other two
trees produced next to nothing.
The winter was about average here in north central Texas.

This year, all three trees are loaded down with acorns. I sure hope the
quantity of acorns has nothing to do with the severity of the winter. If it
does, this winter should be terrible.

Shepherd