Old 12-09-2003, 11:13 PM
R.J. Rabenberg

Default Abundant acorns

I'm not sure this is even the right place, but many gardeners subscribe
to information found in The Old Farmers Almanac and the like. I live in
SE South Dakota and have a 75+ year burr oak in my yard. This year I
have so many acorns that ther ground is literally covered with them.
Does anyone know if this may be a sign of an impending hard long winter?
TIA,
RJ

Old 13-09-2003, 12:02 AM
David J Bockman

Acorn production is cyclical, with some years being quite heavy, some
moderate, and some scant. Stress can also affect production as well, so if
you had a period of drought one or two years ago, the effects could be
showing now through the heavy acorn set.

Dave

Old 13-09-2003, 01:22 AM
Shepherd

"R.J. Rabenberg" wrote in message
I'm not sure this is even the right place, but many gardeners subscribe
to information found in The Old Farmers Almanac and the like. I live in
SE South Dakota and have a 75+ year burr oak in my yard. This year I
have so many acorns that ther ground is literally covered with them.
Does anyone know if this may be a sign of an impending hard long winter?
TIA,
RJ

I have three oak trees about the same size, and I guess age.

Last year one tree produced a very large quantity of acorns. The other two
trees produced next to nothing.
The winter was about average here in north central Texas.

This year, all three trees are loaded down with acorns. I sure hope the
quantity of acorns has nothing to do with the severity of the winter. If it
does, this winter should be terrible.

Shepherd

Old 13-09-2003, 02:02 AM
Tom J

"Shepherd" wrote in message

[...]

Sounds like there will be a winter this year from border to border across the
middle of the US that the great grand kids will hear about. Get new snow
shovels and Pile in the fire wood, quilts and blankets!!
;-)
Tom J

Old 13-09-2003, 12:32 PM
Frank Logullo

"R.J. Rabenberg" wrote in message
I'm not sure this is even the right place, but many gardeners subscribe
to information found in The Old Farmers Almanac and the like. I live in
SE South Dakota and have a 75+ year burr oak in my yard. This year I
have so many acorns that ther ground is literally covered with them.
Does anyone know if this may be a sign of an impending hard long winter?

Probably more of a sign of a past season that was good for the tree.
Frank

Old 13-09-2003, 04:22 PM
DigitalVinyl

"R.J. Rabenberg" wrote:

I'm not sure this is even the right place, but many gardeners subscribe
to information found in The Old Farmers Almanac and the like. I live in
SE South Dakota and have a 75+ year burr oak in my yard. This year I
have so many acorns that ther ground is literally covered with them.
Does anyone know if this may be a sign of an impending hard long winter?
TIA,
RJ

Funny you should post about that. A tree on a back neighbors yard was
shedding acorns onto the roof of his garage. All day long these pops
and scraps would sound off as they bounced and ran down the roof
shingles. I have never noticed that before. It didn't occur to me that
there might be light and heavy years. I just assumed I wasn't around
when this tree dropped them. Interestingly, the flush of falling
acrons all seemed to happen within a day or two.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener
Old 13-09-2003, 05:12 PM
Shepherd

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message
"R.J. Rabenberg" wrote:

[...]

The acorns fall from my trees for many weeks, not all in one day.

Shepherd

Old 13-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Tom J

"R.J. Rabenberg" wrote:

[...]

The extra heavy falling for a short time was most likely caused by birds or
squirrels, or both, harvesting nuts.

Tom J

Old 14-09-2003, 01:32 AM
Rachel

"R.J. Rabenberg" wrote:

Funny you should post about that. A tree on a back neighbors yard was
shedding acorns onto the roof of his garage. All day long these pops
and scraps would sound off as they bounced and ran down the roof
shingles. I have never noticed that before. It didn't occur to me that
there might be light and heavy years.

Also, remember that trees of the Black Oak group (Black Oak, Red Oaks, Pin
Oak, Scarlet Oak) take two years to ripen their acorns, so if you have a few
of those in an acorn year there will be a lot more action than when several
of them have an off-year. The Bur Oak mentioned by RJ, however, is in the
White Oak group, which ripens and drops acorns every year, although the
production of an individual tree may vary.

Here on the Blue Ridge (Zone 6B) with Black, Red, White and Chestnut Oaks,
it's sounded like popcorn is being made all the time, as they land on the
roof and the rocks, and bounce off branches, since week before last.