Old 13-09-2003, 05:12 AM
Rusty Nayles

Default Some kikuyu advise needed

On 12 Sep 2003 04:13:00 -0700, Nicholas Steel wrote:

My aim is to plant kikuyu throughout my front garden and Ive been
partially successful.

My method is this - to hack some out of a roadside, roots and all, and
then tranplant said patch in my garden. The piece is generally about
10cm x 10 cm.

I then water it and eventually it spreads. I noticed that when I till
the earth around the planted patch it spreads lightening fast. I have
clay soil which seems to harden when there is no moisture.

You could add Gypsum to the clay or dig in some mulch.

I use liquid fertiliser (Miracle Grow - is this any good?)every two
weeks.

I use a liquid fertiliser on my Onopordum acanthiums and with plenty of
water some have achieved over 2 meters in height.

Should I till the earth around my patches to encourage growth or will
spiking it with a pitch fork suffice?

Yeh loosen up the soil to allow the roots to penetrate.
--

Stuart