Old 13-09-2003, 05:02 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default converting grassy slope to garden for next year?

Frogleg wrote:

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 18:28:58 GMT, DigitalVinyl
wrote:

"Tom J" wrote:

BTW, a couple of
watermelon vines would cover the whole area, so that's something else better
bought at the market.

I would only grow one or two, and it would be one of the smaller round
ones. I was thinking it could take over the grassy area near the rock
wall and spread lengthwise along the wall. I grew baby bear pumpkins
in a 12" wide container this year (harvested three, i killed the plant
in a baking soda accident).

^_^ If you're not crazy about squash, I wouldn't waste the space.
Those plants can become *very* large. Similarly, even with small
fruit, melon vines can occupy a lot of space.

I would use vertical growing for them as much as possible. It just
makes more sense--although it eliminates vines re-rooting.

I do sympathize with the
desire to try many things just to see how/what they do. I liked to
grow either unusual or expensive things in my garden plot -- different
colored bell peppers, purple beans, celeriac (a complete failure),
oriental veg. I grew onions one year and those were also dismal --
they take a lot of water and attention, and onions are cheap. Better
to try shallots or garlic chives. Or leeks. For beans, be careful to

I will be doing a lot more scallions this year, but I do want to do
some onion and garlic. I'll have to keep the higher water requirement
in mind.
note whether they're bush or pole (climbing) types. I built a very
elaborate bean trellis, and then planted bush bean seeds. Uh oh. The
small fresh beans were lovely, nonetheless.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener