Old 13-09-2003, 06:42 PM
Sew-Sew Lady

Default BIG okra

Okra usually isn't good to eat once the pods get big; it gets very tough and
stringy. Okra is best when you cut the pods from the plant when they are
about 4 inches long. Now, if by chance your okra is still good, it goes
very well in a vegetable soup, and I like to mix cut okra with tomatoes,
simmer and serve over rice.
To see if they're worth cooking, mix a couple of pods, sliced, with a can of
diced tomatoes, simmer about 15-30 minutes and taste. If they're tough and
chewy, they're not going to work in any soups or gumbos.
Good luck.

wrote in message
We're getting a ton of really BIG okra pods.
Anyone have a recipe for these large pods?
A vegetarian gumbo?

Thanks,
Gene

--