Old 13-09-2003, 06:02 PM

Default BIG okra

We're getting a ton of really BIG okra pods.
Anyone have a recipe for these large pods?
A vegetarian gumbo?

Thanks,
Gene

--
eMail:

Old 13-09-2003, 06:42 PM
Sew-Sew Lady

Okra usually isn't good to eat once the pods get big; it gets very tough and
stringy. Okra is best when you cut the pods from the plant when they are
about 4 inches long. Now, if by chance your okra is still good, it goes
very well in a vegetable soup, and I like to mix cut okra with tomatoes,
simmer and serve over rice.
To see if they're worth cooking, mix a couple of pods, sliced, with a can of
diced tomatoes, simmer about 15-30 minutes and taste. If they're tough and
chewy, they're not going to work in any soups or gumbos.
Good luck.

Old 13-09-2003, 09:02 PM
Victor M. Martinez

A vegetarian gumbo?

Isn't that a contradiction in terms?

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old 13-09-2003, 11:22 PM
Steve Coyle

wrote in message ...
We're getting a ton of really BIG okra pods.
Anyone have a recipe for these large pods?
A vegetarian gumbo?

Thanks,
Gene

Here is a decent Okra and tomato recipe at:

http://food.hubcom.net/cgi-win/recipe.exe?3$2$0$82$588

Don't forget when digging up recipes for Okra check out middle eastern
and Nepalese sources for some interesting recipes.
I used to give a lot of my Okra to a friend of mine from Nepal
studying at UT and she would go crazy every time I turned up with a
bunch.
Take care,
Steve Coyle
www.austingardencenter.com
Old 15-09-2003, 02:12 PM
God Bless Texas

wrote
We're getting a ton of really BIG okra pods.
Anyone have a recipe for these large pods?
A vegetarian gumbo?

Thanks,
Gene

Sorry, I missed the original post.

None, you have to pick okra when it is small and tender. Once the pods get
longer than about your index finger, they get woody and there is nothing you
can do to make them edible.