Old 13-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Todd MacPherson

Default Yellow Birch

Hello

I am developing a management plan for a landowner who has a 115-acre
property dominated by large-stemmed 140-year old eastern hemlock,
80-year old balsam fir, red maple, yellow birch, and eastern white
cedar.

To promote the establishment of more yellow birch I am going to
suggest removal of balsam fir as they are overmature and dieing. I
know yellow birch requires a moist shaded site to establish, which
this property is. Does it also require soil disturbance to establish?
I think it does because where they have previously harvested there was
no soil disturbance and very little regeneration has taken place even
though canopy was still 70% crown closure.

Thanks

Todd

PS Originally I posted this through my provider but my messages do not
appear hence the google route.