Old 14-09-2003, 01:32 AM
Rachel

Default Abundant acorns

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message
"R.J. Rabenberg" wrote:

Funny you should post about that. A tree on a back neighbors yard was
shedding acorns onto the roof of his garage. All day long these pops
and scraps would sound off as they bounced and ran down the roof
shingles. I have never noticed that before. It didn't occur to me that
there might be light and heavy years.

Also, remember that trees of the Black Oak group (Black Oak, Red Oaks, Pin
Oak, Scarlet Oak) take two years to ripen their acorns, so if you have a few
of those in an acorn year there will be a lot more action than when several
of them have an off-year. The Bur Oak mentioned by RJ, however, is in the
White Oak group, which ripens and drops acorns every year, although the
production of an individual tree may vary.

Here on the Blue Ridge (Zone 6B) with Black, Red, White and Chestnut Oaks,
it's sounded like popcorn is being made all the time, as they land on the
roof and the rocks, and bounce off branches, since week before last.