Old 14-09-2003, 10:32 PM
Daniel Hanna

Default Is this normal for Granada?

In m Shiva wrote:
Daniel, this is why here we call it a Grandiflora--it is a cross
between a floribunda and a hybrid tea so it does tend to bloom in
sprays.
Helpmefind ought to have the exact lineage for Granada.

Actually, helpmefind lists Granada as an HT although one of its parents (
Cavalcade) IS a floribunda.

I have noticed
that some of the most deliciously fragrant, lovely roses are
Grandifloras--Gold Medal come to mind.

As a class of rose, I haven't heard the term Grandiflora in some time,
Shiva. It was a description peculiar to the US and wasn't followed in
Europe or Australia/NZ. I thought it might have died in the US too.

Most of what you call 'Grandifloras' are classed here simply as
floribundas, although Gold Medal and Granada are both called HT here.
The one nursery that tried to introduce the term was Swanes (local J&P
distributor). Their grandiflora list was:

* Queen Elizabeth
* Aquarius
* Tournament of Roses
* White Lightnin'

Go figure!! I will keep watching Granada and hope for some lovely long
cutting stems later in the season, without having to remove buds (can't
bring myself to commit infanticide!).

Thanks for the info.