Old 15-09-2003, 01:32 AM
_Lil_Lamb

Default Jumper

Thanks! I haven't seen him (floating or otherwise-I *hope* that is a good sign!!!). I put
some PondZyme in the water, and am considering MarOxy, as a prophylaxis, as I don't really
have anything for the outdoor tanks, just meds for my indoor babies. (I always dosed with
MarOxy and Maracide when introducing new fish or moving fish to another tank). Will MarOxy
be okay in a pond? It is only 35 gallons (they are in the spillover). I have always used
it indoors as I love the Mardel meds since they do not harm the beneficial bacteria in my
biological filtration. I think I will go get some of that enzyme stuff that makes the
slime coating also.

The hole is dug out for the larger pond (couldn't find the exact replacement for the 125
gal, so we got a 160 that approximates the same 'shape'). I have surgery tomorrow, and if
I scream and yell enough, I should be out by Tuesday, Wednesday at the worst. I hope to
get things settled in, and everyone back to the big pond by then.

So basically, to keep them from jumping, the water needs to be kept deep, sweet, and they
need to be watched when you first put them in? He seemed fine in the bigger pond, until
the water got so low. Perhaps that is what freaked him out.

Thanks for the reply. I love your site, and was showing your vacuum to the hubby this
morning. He also liked the pond pictures.
--
Dee

Drop "BYE" to email me.

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
Dee,

Koi will jump when they don't like their water, when new to a pond, or when
they feel cornered.

Keep an eye on him. Having the slime coat dried/scraped off often allows
bad bacteria to enter the skin and cause ulcers. I would use a double dose
of KoiZyme to try to prevent the start of infection, but if infection
starts, post quickly and we will pick it up there.
--
RichToyBox

"_Lil_Lamb" wrote in message
Is it
normal for koi to just jump like that? He had to have jumped at LEAST 6

feet, as there is
a ledge, and a shelf, plus the rocks around the edge.

If they jump like that, is there something I should do in the future to

discourage it?

I am not
sure if he is going to make it or not. If he does, I think I will rename

him Houdini.

Dee

--
Drop "BYE" to email me.