Old 14-09-2003, 05:32 AM
_Lil_Lamb

Default Jumper

Hello-
I have gotten a lot of good info by lurking here. I really enjoy all the nice pictures,
and the great advice.

I am a beginning ponder, with a small 'kit' preformed pond. It is a 125 gallon Bermuda
pond, with a 35 gallon spillway. I had it going very nicely, but we had a mishap involving
a neighbor with a destructive dog, and the rocks along the edge. Needless to say, the
water in the pond was down to about 10 inches or so, and I quickly gathered the few rosy
reds and three other fish, a comet, a koi, and a fantail goldfish, to put them in the
spillway until we can get the replacement liner in tomorrow.

I kept having to pause, to allow the water to clear. I caught Charlie (the comet) and Lacy
(the fantail), but Velvet (the Koi) was nowhere to be found. We have tons of frogs and
toads who decided they loved my hospitality in putting in a pond for them. I heard a jump
and a 'flop' but assumed it was one of the big frogs.

I kept looking in the (now cloudy water) and dragging the big net around. I caught all the
rosy reds, but still no Velvet. I walked around with the flashlight, for by this time it
was getting dark. Then I noticed a pair of shiny eyes... IN THE GARDEN! The garden is
about 2 feet from the edge of the pond, and the fish was a good 2 feet beyond that. Is it
normal for koi to just jump like that? He had to have jumped at LEAST 6 feet, as there is
a ledge, and a shelf, plus the rocks around the edge.

If they jump like that, is there something I should do in the future to discourage it?
This is the SAME fish that jumped from the spillover into the pond after the last leak (a
very visible hole I managed to plug with aquarium silicone). But that wasn't as much of a
jump as this.

He was still alive, despite being covered with dirt and out of the water for (I estimate)
around half an hour. Good thing that night fell, had it been daytime (I live in Texas) the
poor guy would have cooked. I put him in the spillway, and after a few minutes, he
regained his ability to hold his orientation, although he didn't look so good. I am not
sure if he is going to make it or not. If he does, I think I will rename him Houdini.

Also, has anyone had any dealings with the liquid EPDM (I think that is the right term)
rubber? It is for sealing roofs, but I was told you can use it to create ponds? We want to
eventually add a small 'creek' that trickles down to the pond.

TIA for any advice anyone has to give!

Dee

--
Drop "BYE" to email me.

Old 15-09-2003, 01:12 AM
RichToyBox

Dee,

Koi will jump when they don't like their water, when new to a pond, or when
they feel cornered.

Keep an eye on him. Having the slime coat dried/scraped off often allows
bad bacteria to enter the skin and cause ulcers. I would use a double dose
of KoiZyme to try to prevent the start of infection, but if infection
starts, post quickly and we will pick it up there.
--
RichToyBox

Old 15-09-2003, 01:32 AM
_Lil_Lamb

Thanks! I haven't seen him (floating or otherwise-I *hope* that is a good sign!!!). I put
some PondZyme in the water, and am considering MarOxy, as a prophylaxis, as I don't really
have anything for the outdoor tanks, just meds for my indoor babies. (I always dosed with
MarOxy and Maracide when introducing new fish or moving fish to another tank). Will MarOxy
be okay in a pond? It is only 35 gallons (they are in the spillover). I have always used
it indoors as I love the Mardel meds since they do not harm the beneficial bacteria in my
biological filtration. I think I will go get some of that enzyme stuff that makes the
slime coating also.

The hole is dug out for the larger pond (couldn't find the exact replacement for the 125
gal, so we got a 160 that approximates the same 'shape'). I have surgery tomorrow, and if
I scream and yell enough, I should be out by Tuesday, Wednesday at the worst. I hope to
get things settled in, and everyone back to the big pond by then.

So basically, to keep them from jumping, the water needs to be kept deep, sweet, and they
need to be watched when you first put them in? He seemed fine in the bigger pond, until
the water got so low. Perhaps that is what freaked him out.

Thanks for the reply. I love your site, and was showing your vacuum to the hubby this
morning. He also liked the pond pictures.
--
Dee

Drop "BYE" to email me.

Old 15-09-2003, 02:02 AM
RichToyBox

KoiZyme is a bacteria that competitively excludes the bad bacteria, unlike
PondZyme and some of the other enzyme products that help digest waste. I
have been using it since it first came out and feel that it has saved many
of my fish and kept me from having to do antibiotic
injections/treatments/dips etc. I don't like pond treatments for bacterial
infections since they do have negative effects on the filter if they are
strong enough to do anything for the fish. Salt at 1 pound per 100 gallons
will do more to stimulate the slime coat than any product that I know and it
is CHEAP. Just be sure that it is pure salt, non iodized, such as pickling
salt, water softener salt, or ice cream salt.
--
RichToyBox

Old 15-09-2003, 02:12 AM
_Lil_Lamb

Ahhh.. I will have to get some KoiZyme.

Well, to update the saga, I just went out to see if I could find Velvet, and the little
bugger jumped from the spillover main area into the small 'bog' at the side. I was
happy he is alive (and feeling his oats as he wouldn't let me touch him). I got out the
net and gently scooped him out, and brought him inside. He is now interrupting romance in
the betta breeding 20GL tank, as it has a locking screen cover, much to the chagrin of
Mrs. Betta. She wasn't fully ready to mate yet, and as such is still in her 'globe' (I use
a hurricane lamp globe so it keeps them apart, yet in the same water but allows her to be
very gently let in with him simply by lifting the globe up over her). I am going to remove
her and put her back in her "vase" (not the tiny ones they sell for bettas, this one is
huge!). The male betta came over as the net hit the water, all flounced out, until he saw
Velvet's size. LOL. Velvet isn't the least bit interested in either of them, but quickly
swam to the bottom and stirred up the tiny bit of gravel that is there as a host for the
good bacteria. I am going to hit the tank with MarOxy, some StressZyme, and pray.

The breeding tank was set up with aquarium salt to aid in healing any 'boo boo's' the
bettas get during their sometimes violent mating, so that should help!

This may delay the breeding cycle, but I know if I leave the little stinker in the
spillover, he is going to make another escape attempt, and this time Mommy will be in the
hospital, and unable to save him.

We lost only 2 rosy reds during the whole ordeal, so I guess it isn't as bad as I feared.
This couldn't have happened at a worse time, though, considering my condition, my poor
hubby is stuck doing most of the work.

Another quick ??? - is KoiZyme available at places like PetSmart, or will I have to go to
a pond specialty store, or is it best to order online? I have never seen it, so I don't
know how the online price compares to retail.

Thanks for all your help.

Old 15-09-2003, 03:02 AM
RichToyBox

Go to http://www.koizyme.com/KOICARE/query2_list.asp and see if there is a
vendor near you. When we started using it we were having to order it from
Colorado, but two of my local pond stores now have it. It must be
refrigerated, so not everyone will handle it.
--
RichToyBox

Old 15-09-2003, 04:02 AM
_Lil_Lamb

The closest dealer, to where I am, is over 2 hours away.

Looking for somewhere to order from. This dealer may ship. It says it has a life of 4-6
mos. at room temp, so a day or so in shipping should be okay, right?

Old 16-09-2003, 01:04 AM
RichToyBox

Most will pack with insulation and some with a cold pack. But it will be
fine during shipping. I am going to give a plug for my local dealer, who is
the cheapest that I know of for KoiZyme. Shari's Petals and Ponds Phone
804-236-0155.
--
RichToyBox

Old 16-09-2003, 02:42 PM
Lee Brouillet

When you get it, keep it in the 'fridge. It will extend the "shelf life" to
about two years. Don't let it freeze, but keep it cold: it keeps the "bugs"
in hibernation until they hit the pond water.

Lee

Old 18-09-2003, 04:42 PM
_Lil_Lamb

Thank you so much!

I will check into this. The little bugger survived, and is still in the betta tank. The
pond has been delayed by rain. Which other ponder said that digging a pond was a rain
magnet? Anyway, I am one sever restrictions right now (lift no more than 10 lbs.,
walking the only permitted form of exercise, etc.) so it may be a couple of weeks before
we get the new pond in.

Does Shari's have a website for ordering, or by phone only?

Old 18-09-2003, 11:36 PM
_Lil_Lamb

Thank you. I will certainly remember that. Especially since we have such a tiny pond and
it may be a while before it gets used up.

--
Dee

Drop "BYE" to email me.