Old 15-09-2003, 10:02 AM
kevin bailey

Default [IBC] sacred bamboo care

Thanks Jim,

I haven't seen any Nandina cultivars in the UK, but I'll be looking
harder now! Mine were from seed and must be the species as the mature
leaves are 18" to 24".

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

There are hundreds of Nandina cultivars, some with leaves as
small as 1/4 inch and which make very nice bonsai -- I even have
an 8-inch mame Nandina. They have marvelous fall color -- and
the leaves stay on the tree (in full color) all winter and even
into the spring.

Nandina domestica is more commonly called "Heavenly bamboo" in
+my_ neck of the wood.

And then, of course, there is the so-called "lucky bamboo" which
I bet some entrepreneurial seller has undoubtedly tied the name
"sacred" to in hope of even more sales. This plant is even
farther from the bamboos. It is, actually, a member of a fairly
common tropical house plant genus, Dracena, and will grow
anywhere in whatever light you give it. (It's also ugly as sin in
most of the plants I have seen for sale.) It has no bonsai
potential (that _I_ can imagine, at least, though Kevin felt the
same for Nandina).

---

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++