Old 14-09-2003, 10:02 AM
Andy Mogg

Default sacred bambo care

hi,

my parents were at a garden show yesterday and saw a sacred bamboo
bonsai,they decided they liked it so purchased it wanting me to look after
it as they know i already have a few trees (desjho, juniper, acer, serissa
etc etc)

I have never seen a sarcred bamboo before or even heard of one, and being
parents they just purchased it without asking about care. they didnt pay
much for it as it is only a young tree.

I was just wondering what the best way to care for the tree is and what sort
of conditionsit thrives in.

i live in the north east of england
cheers
andy

Old 14-09-2003, 11:44 AM
kevin bailey

Default [IBC] sacred bambo care

Sacred bamboo is Nandina domestica (not actually a bamboo) and has very
large compound leaves with long internodes and rarely makes a good
bonsai. It is usually grown as a large accent. They do respond quite
well to chopping back hard with new shoots low down and even suckers
from underground.

I gave up on mine and planted them in my Japanese garden where they are
a classic plant. They flower nicely now with small, pale cream flowers
followed by red berries and give all year round interest.

Lucky Bamboo (also not really a Bamboo) is common in UK garden centres
at the moment and may have been mislabelled as Sacred. Its fat succulent
stems are often wound into spirals, woven into weird lattices or planted
as lots of short cuttings in a growing gel. I think they are all awful.

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

my parents were at a garden show yesterday and saw a sacred bamboo
bonsai,they decided they liked it so purchased it wanting me to look
after
it as they know i already have a few trees (desjho, juniper, acer,
serissa
etc etc)

I have never seen a sarcred bamboo before or even heard of one, and
being
parents they just purchased it without asking about care. they didnt pay
much for it as it is only a young tree.

I was just wondering what the best way to care for the tree is and what
sort
of conditionsit thrives in.

i live in the north east of england
cheers
andy

********
++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++
********
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/
--
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 14-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Iris Cohen

Default sacred bamboo care

The so-called sacred bamboo has nothing whatever to do with bonsai. It is a
Dracaena, a common houseplant. Grow it the same as other Dracaenas.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 14-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Andy Mogg

Hi
Thanks, for that, i have the 1st type, as i already have one of those lucky
bamboo things.

i didnt think the nandina would make a good on its own so to save upsetting
my parents im going to use it as a backdrop.....is it better kept indoor or
outdoor?

many thanks
andy

Old 14-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Iris Cohen

Default [IBC] sacred bamboo care

Sacred bamboo is Nandina domestica

Could be, but I would bet it is more likely to be what they call lucky bamboo,
those Dracaenas with the curlicues.

Old 15-09-2003, 12:22 AM
Jim Lewis

[...]

There are hundreds of Nandina cultivars, some with leaves as
small as 1/4 inch and which make very nice bonsai -- I even have
an 8-inch mame Nandina. They have marvelous fall color -- and
the leaves stay on the tree (in full color) all winter and even
into the spring.

Nandina domestica is more commonly called "Heavenly bamboo" in
+my_ neck of the wood.

And then, of course, there is the so-called "lucky bamboo" which
I bet some entrepreneurial seller has undoubtedly tied the name
"sacred" to in hope of even more sales. This plant is even
farther from the bamboos. It is, actually, a member of a fairly
common tropical house plant genus, Dracena, and will grow
anywhere in whatever light you give it. (It's also ugly as sin in
most of the plants I have seen for sale.) It has no bonsai
potential (that _I_ can imagine, at least, though Kevin felt the
same for Nandina).

Old 15-09-2003, 10:02 AM
kevin bailey

Thanks Jim,

I haven't seen any Nandina cultivars in the UK, but I'll be looking
harder now! Mine were from seed and must be the species as the mature
leaves are 18" to 24".

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

Old 15-09-2003, 04:42 PM
Barb

[...]

Advice needed - bambo in a tub and bambo in water - both looking sickly lotte potter Bamboo 2 22-02-2005 07:33 PM
[IBC] Nandina Domestica - Sacred/heavenly Bamboo Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 01-10-2003 11:13 PM
bambo going all spotty and dry Amber United Kingdom 17 27-07-2003 05:45 PM
bambo orchid? John Robertson Bamboo 1 03-04-2003 06:56 PM
bambo orchid ? john robertson Orchids 1 02-04-2003 06:32 AM