Old 15-09-2003, 01:16 PM
MaggieBabb MaggieBabb is offline
Registered User

Location: Scotland..West Coast
Default Your best and worst rose?

Quote:
Originally posted by elfa
This has probably been asked before but I haven't seen it.

Anyone care to post their single BEST performing (not favorite) rose. The one
that consistantly produces blossoms with the least amount of hassle. The one
that you would recommend in good conscience to a first timer who didn't care
about color but just wanted a steady performer without having to 'baby' it.

Mine is Brandy...rock solid since last summer when I planted it. No fungus or
insects problems. Consistantly produces blooms.

How about the one rose you have that makes you want to get your money back. The
embarassment to your rose garden.

Mine is Sterling Silver. Wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy. Gets the
same treatment as all the rest and has yet to produce any blooms this summer.
It just sits there like a bump on a log. I wish I could get back the $20 it
cost.

thanks

elfa

zone 9
Hi From Scotland. I think my all time favourite rose both here and my previous home in Ontario (Niagara Falls, zone 6) is by far, David Austin's Heritage. this rose has never failed me and when I came here, I planted one to see what would happen in this very cool and moist climate. I had a bit of blackspot the first year but the blooms were amazing. this year it has performed beautifully and has been blackspot free. It even took a first prize in the local garden show..which totally pleased me. It's fragrant, blooms constantly and is just an all around great rose. My close second is Zepherine Drouhin..a gorgeous climber, again prolific,, tolerates a bit of shade and has a great colour. The worst..and I'm sort of sad to include it..is anotherAustin, Evelyn. Maybe it's the climate here..but while she has an amazing scent and colour..the poor thing struggles and struggles and just doesn't do much.