Old 15-09-2003, 04:42 PM
Barb

Default [IBC] sacred bambo care

----- Original Message -----
From: Andy Mogg
Sent: Sunday, September 14, 2003 7:54 AM
Subject: [IBC] sacred bambo care

Hi
Thanks, for that, i have the 1st type, as i already have one of those

lucky
bamboo things.

i didnt think the nandina would make a good on its own so to save

upsetting
my parents im going to use it as a backdrop.....is it better kept indoor

or
outdoor?

many thanks
andy

"kevin bailey" wrote in message
Sacred bamboo is Nandina domestica (not actually a bamboo) and has very
large compound leaves with long internodes and rarely makes a good
bonsai. It is usually grown as a large accent. They do respond quite
well to chopping back hard with new shoots low down and even suckers
from underground.

I gave up on mine and planted them in my Japanese garden where they are
a classic plant. They flower nicely now with small, pale cream flowers
followed by red berries and give all year round interest.

Lucky Bamboo (also not really a Bamboo) is common in UK garden centres
at the moment and may have been mislabelled as Sacred. Its fat succulent
stems are often wound into spirals, woven into weird lattices or planted
as lots of short cuttings in a growing gel. I think they are all awful.

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales