Old 15-09-2003, 08:33 PM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] "yamadori" boxwood

The REAL question here, of course, is why are we
English-,
French-, German-, Swahili-speaking growers of
artistic small
trees in pots bothering to use the term "yamadori"
when
"collected" does as well (or better) and in most
cases is much
more accurate.

For two reaons, the main one is that it sells better.
The second is for the same reason they say "enpointe"
instead of stand on your toes, or eppe for sharp
pointy stick with a handle, or chow mein instead of
noodles, and the main reason sticks in pot with glued
on rocks are called authentic bonsai.

The same goes for "nebari" and "shohin" and a whole
host of other
look-what-I-know terms. There are legitimate and
very clear
English (or other) equivalents.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL -
Who thinks
that some of us are trying to out Japanese the
Japanese.

A typical American tradition to be better at what ever
than the originators.

Kitsune Miko,
who wants to know why we use a Greek legend to decribe
a verson of a Japanese art form called Pheonix Bonsai.
Why don't we call it big dead stick with small live
stick? Then if we become politically correct we
couild call them restricted growth challenged trees.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++