Old 16-09-2003, 12:22 AM
paghat

Default Disappointing Dahlias and Crumby Crocosmia

In article ,
(Fleemo) wrote:

Despite a good showing from much of my garden this year, I was
disappointed that my dahlias and my crocosmia (Lucifer) put on a
lackluster performance. I only got one dahlia plant to bloom at all
this year, an Amy's star. The rest got quite large in size, but did
not flower at all. Not yet anyway. What could have caused the
non-blooming, doyasuppose?

This is my first year with crocosmia, and out of five bladed stalks,
only one ever bloomed. Do they have some additional requirements that
I'm unaware of?

-Fleemo in Zone 10

My Lucifer was crappy this past year too, I think only because of the
record summer temperatures we had on Puget Sound. Locations that were
great for them in the past were too dry & hot for this year, but ought to
be fine again next year, unless we have another greenhouse-warming
record-hot summer.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl: