Old 16-09-2003, 05:14 AM
mel turner

Default Roraima shrub identification

In article ,
[zosdad] wrote...

Howdy,

I was wondering if anyone could give me a hint about what the shrub is
in this picture from Roraima, Venzuela:

http://www.heliamphora.de/cms/images...010829_579.jpg

(the shrubby plant in the upper left, with the thickish, curled
leaves)

It came from this page on the Heliamphora genus and its habitat:
http://www.heliamphora.de/cms/01b021...50279093530ff1
951/50279093530ff5f55.html

Thanks for your help! It's just a curiousity for me, if someone has
an idea of the family or genus that would be enough to get me started.

I'd probably start looking with _Bonnetia_ sp. [family Bonnetiaceae],
but you'll probably need more info than you can get from the photo to
be sure.

I was recently looking at a Missouri Botanical Garden poster featuring
plants of the Guyana highlands, and they illustrated similar thick
leaves clustered at the tips of branches in Bonnetia crassifolia and
indicated there were 30 or so Bonnetia species there.

On the other hand, they also said that very similar growth forms
were characteristic of other plants of these same habitats.

http://www.mobot.org/MOBOT/Research/.../welcome.shtml
may be a relevant link.

cheers